Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bort's sequel...

"Fungus Among Us" turned out great, and has gotten a lot of really good responses. So I'm going to go ahead and flesh out the series.

*** SPOILERS!!! ***

This thread is likely to give away the secrets behind this series. If you don't want to know them, then do not read any further!

*** SPOILERS!!! ***

Here are a few things that the series will contain, but I need to find a way to tie them all together:

- The Spores will continue to infect other species (or maybe just other Feds) somehow, and eventually you will come face-to-face with one that has grown intelligent enough to effectively communicate. Up until this point in their existence, they've never achieved this level of neural activity. This would be more than just First Contact, but the actual evolution of a newly-developed symbiotic lifeform. There are far-reaching consequences implied here for Fed captains, depending on how the situation is resolved.

- It will be revealed that the "mystery ship" belongs to the Djekori. This is Bort's race. Their homeworld has returned to its xenophobic nature, and a group of "mad scientist" types have decided to use the Spores as a bio weapon. The base at Sandal IV was where the weaponization project was taking place, as well as attempts at a cure or vaccine for the infection.

- The crate of Spores on board the Gertrude was opened remotely by a signal from a Djekori vessel. Their communications signals are somehow very different from standards used by the rest of the galaxy. Not sure how. Need some appropriate technobabble explanation. They also use cloaking technology that works primarily against visual detection only, but also masks warp signatures.

- Dr. Lorai Sy-no will return. She has a crush on you, Captain! (regardless of gender) Valtna may turn on you, if I can work it in. Probably killing the doctor, so there's no loose ends, romantically-speaking.

That's all the major points I can think of right now.

"Fungus" wraps up with you having downloaded most of the Gertrude's central core (including those "anomalous communication" readings) as well as taken readings on the fungus colony and the infected crewmen. Lots of information could be revealed from that, and lead to the next step of the investigation. But I'm not really sure exactly where to begin, and I don't want to overload folks' brains with too much info/dialog, too quickly.

Let's brainstorm!

The crate of Spores on board the Gertrude was opened remotely by a signal from a Djekori vessel. Their communications signals are somehow very different from standards used by the rest of the galaxy. Not sure how. Need some appropriate technobabble explanation. They also use cloaking technology that works primarily against visual detection only, but also masks warp signatures.
    what if you use morse code? I would say most people in this century wuoldn't know what it is.

I'd figure it out.

I just remembered that I may have to hold off on a sequel where the Djekori are involved. I won't be able to create aliens that look anything like them until Cryptic implements facial morph sliders into the Foundry's costume designer.

Quote Originally Posted by @borticus View Post
    I just remembered that I may have to hold off on a sequel where the Djekori are involved. I won't be able to create aliens that look anything like them until Cryptic implements facial morph sliders into the Foundry's costume designer.
    you could do a mission that involves them indirectly so they dont show their faces allowing you to progress your storyline but we dont see what they look like

Community Admin
    STO Lifetimer

Quote Originally Posted by Arjin Pax View Post
    what if you use morse code? I would say most people in this century wuoldn't know what it is.
    yeah, but also what are the chances of an alien species using it? unless you say it's "like" the old morse code? or maybe they got it from the humans on the Gertrude which would sort of explain how they can pilot a ship and such?

P.S. as a Ham Radio guy i had to know Morse to get my license, i don't do much with it now but give me a shout if you need help with it.

oh and we need some brainstorming music (you may not get this unless you have small children as i hear this several times in my head all day )
    Last edited by @Russell-KV4S; 14th April 2011 at 07:01 AM.
    "We are one big, happy fleet!" -Khan

STO Lifetimer: Russell@Russell-KV4S
    Twitter: @KV4S
    Google+: Russell Thomas
    Steam: KV4S
    My Guide: XMPP client for Android for JFC chat
    STO_DevTracker Developer: @STO_DevTracker

glomac

i'd like to see some sort of horrid construct made out of multiple peaple, or body parts. like some sort of fungus-super-zombie-giant-mutant! dont know if it's poss in foundry atm tho

TerraVolt532

How about a tachyon pulse? At the right levels it would be seen as background noise but could still be detected by those that know what to look for. Also FTL communication would be essential..tachyons are theoretically one of the only particles that moves faster than the speed of light without utilizing subspace (the galactic standard).
    Last edited by TerraVolt532; 14th April 2011 at 12:10 PM.

I think I've decided on how to explain the communications... And it'll be a nice twist to explain those readings, and tie them into the larger story of the Alpha and Beta quadrants. I think I'm going to link the signals to subspace weapons testing. I need to make sure that bit of technobabble makes sense in the larger Trek universe, though.

In order to be able to progress on this mission chain, I'm going to do away with the idea of using the Djekori (Borts) as my bad guys. So now I need to come up with a new antagonist species. I think I'll just invent a new alien race. Or maybe browse Memory-Alpha for a bit to find one suitable.

I still have NO clue where to progress the story from here.

Quote Originally Posted by @borticus View Post
    I think I've decided on how to explain the communications... And it'll be a nice twist to explain those readings, and tie them into the larger story of the Alpha and Beta quadrants. I think I'm going to link the signals to subspace weapons testing. I need to make sure that bit of technobabble makes sense in the larger Trek universe, though.

In order to be able to progress on this mission chain, I'm going to do away with the idea of using the Djekori (Borts) as my bad guys. So now I need to come up with a new antagonist species. I think I'll just invent a new alien race. Or maybe browse Memory-Alpha for a bit to find one suitable.

I still have NO clue where to progress the story from here.
    are you just going to invent a new race by yourself or do you want people's input?