Default First foundry project-A little help?

Hello fleeters!

I recently decided that I wanted to be a foundry author. With that in mind, i dusted of my project slots, read several of the guides here and at starbase ugc, and did a lot of research, mainly by playing the heck out of every good foundry mission i could find. With that, i think now ready to create my first mission, but i have a *lot* of questions.

I have the basic framework of the mission, but i need help in fleshing it out. Anyone wishing to help please contact me here or at @floppytechie in sto

Now on to the questions:

1)Is there a way to make missions fail? Like you did and suddenly the objectives change into a loop, forcing you to beam out and redo that segment?

2)Anyway to place reach markers on cryptic maps? I really want to make the player go to the club in esd but there is no contack, interact or reach markers in that place.

3)I know it is possible to trigger backdrop changes upon interace or reach marker (i have played some missions using it) , but i can't figure out how to do it.

4)anyway to place custom interact on cryptic maps?

5)Is the starship/shuttle bridge not available as cryptic maps?

6)I know how to place explosion/animation assets but not how to trigger them. Help? :P

7) How do i create side dialogs that provide additional information and then loop back to the main dialogue?

8)I know how to use the status:hidden - > visible feature but i cant seem to use it to change objectives based on user input. For example, user gets a dialogue saying :

Choice #1-go left
    Choice #2-go right
    Choice#3-go straight

If the user selects #2,then a reach marker will be placed on his right. If #3,directly in front of him

9)how do i make assets go poof based on objective completion?

10)Is there an easier way to place assets on multi level maps (like the oddessey bridge)? Or do i have to fiddle with the y axis values?

Thank you before hand for answering them, really appreciated
    Also to any vet author, any tips/hints/advice/suggestions for this noob author? :P Any and all input is valuable and appreciated

Tokar Jarok@Omega_Glory wraith1977's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by floppytechie View Post
    Hello fleeters!

I recently decided that I wanted to be a foundry author. With that in mind, i dusted of my project slots, read several of the guides here and at starbase ugc, and did a lot of research, mainly by playing the heck out of every good foundry mission i could find. With that, i think now ready to create my first mission, but i have a *lot* of questions.

I have the basic framework of the mission, but i need help in fleshing it out. Anyone wishing to help please contact me here or at @floppytechie in sto

Now on to the questions:

1)Is there a way to make missions fail? Like you did and suddenly the objectives change into a loop, forcing you to beam out and redo that segment?

Not that I know of. You have to complete objectives for the mission to move forward. The only failure is dying. Now, you can make failure part of the story, but there isn't a mechanic like "defend ship x and if it dies you fail the mission".

2)Anyway to place reach markers on cryptic maps? I really want to make the player go to the club in esd but there is no contack, interact or reach markers in that place.

Unfortunately not. You'll have to tie it to an object, like a plant, or a panel.

3)I know it is possible to trigger backdrop changes upon interace or reach marker (i have played some missions using it) , but i can't figure out how to do it.

What it actually does is make the objects making up the walls, floor, etc to disappear (or appear if that's what you want.) You can have objects change their state once an objective is either in progress or completed.

4)anyway to place custom interact on cryptic maps?

What do you mean by custom interact? You can have players interact with accessible objects on Cryptic maps, and trigger an interaction animation. See #2 - You can have them interact with some plants, benches, doors, and panels.

5)Is the starship/shuttle bridge not available as cryptic maps?

There's a bunch of bridges to choose from in the Foundry. I believe the runabout bridge is one of them. Do you mean the player's actual bridge? If that's what you're asking the answer is "no".

6)I know how to place explosion/animation assets but not how to trigger them. Help? :P

They have to be triggered when an objective is either in progress, or completed, or when a player reaches a marker.

7) How do i create side dialogs that provide additional information and then loop back to the main dialogue?

This is part of the advanced dialog editor. You create a dialog where one choice takes the player down 1 dialog tree, and the other choice takes them down another. At the bottom of the tree, both paths converge into 1.

8)I know how to use the status:hidden - > visible feature but i cant seem to use it to change objectives based on user input. For example, user gets a dialogue saying :

Choice #1-go left
    Choice #2-go right
    Choice#3-go straight

If the user selects #2,then a reach marker will be placed on his right. If #3,directly in front of him

As far as I know, this can't be done with dialog choices. Mission objectives change object state. I'll have to take a look at the Foundry UI to remind myself though.

9)how do i make assets go poof based on objective completion?

You set the hidden/visible state based on objective in-progress or completion.

10)Is there an easier way to place assets on multi level maps (like the oddessey bridge)? Or do i have to fiddle with the y axis values?

You should (unless you have a specific need) use the "relative to floor" setting for the Y access. If you need to override that and put things under floors, or above ceilings then use the "relative to map" setting. I forget what the actual settings are called in the UI, but it's something like that.

Thank you before hand for answering them, really appreciated
    Also to any vet author, any tips/hints/advice/suggestions for this noob author? :P Any and all input is valuable and appreciated

Answers above...
    Last edited by wraith1977; 6th October 2014 at 11:06 AM.

Twitter : STO_Tarok

Thank you, that actually answers a lot of my questions