Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exploration

Default exploration

I just had a thought about what is missing from STO that makes people think its an incomplete game.

Do you think it would be a good idea to be able to visit any of the maps/systems from the missions. but the story elements were removed.

this seems to be standard practice for most MMO's where the story is overlayed onto large exploration maps.

at present there are loads of cool places (guardian time portal for example) that are only visitable while in a mission.

I would probably revisit a few of those places and I'd invite friends too. This would occur about 15 minutes before STOked Radio airs every Saturday!

@SpudBoi - XO Active Recruitment

I'm not sure what you mean; are you talking about making some/all maps open after a mission is completed so you can explore? I mean, that's a neat idea, but unless there was a reason to go back to these places beyond "I want to look around" there's not much point to it.

That's always been a gripe of mine though; the Milky Way galaxy is HUGE, and Cryptic goes and builds a tiny speck of the galaxy for us to play in. Inside that speck of the galaxy are hundreds of star systems, but each only has a single planet you can visit, and only if you have an active mission for that planet. It's all very directed and not conducive to exploration in any sense of the word.

Morale Emergency Hologram Fathom's Avatar

Sorry. Too much like content. I suppose you are going to propose this be available for KDF players too! HA!

....you can't polish a turd......

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnin View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean; are you talking about making some/all maps open after a mission is completed so you can explore? I mean, that's a neat idea, but unless there was a reason to go back to these places beyond "I want to look around" there's not much point to it.
    thats the point exactly. once all the missions have been played. the main reason i play to game is to feel like im a starfleet captain. I like to nip over to andoria every now and then. theres no reason to go there other than i just watched an epp of enterprise and i want to go see shans planet etc..

i think it would be really cool go to ura penthay(?) and get told to fuck off by the klingon gaurds.

or to goto cardassia prime for a bottle of kanar. these maps have already been made and are efectively locked after the mission is complete.

seems like a waste of resources to me.

I say we hold a fund raiser, raise money and buy Cryptic for Thorley to run.

Your vision is one of a true die hard trekkie: LONG TERM.

Unfortunately, IMHO, I feel things are geared so much toward the short term, high turnover of noobs and boobs that come and go.

It's a business. It's function is to make money and yes it has a projected life span for revenue. But unfortunately, to many of us, it is something much more important. It is our Trek. It has become our weekly episode of Voyager, or the new TNG movie that comes out. It has been the one thing that can fill this void (besides JJ Trek) that has been created by the absence of a show. Big shoes to fill.

That being said, is it really any wonder why so many die hard players get so pissed?
    Last edited by Fathom; 03-19-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
    I say we hold a fund raiser, raise money and buy Cryptic for Thorley to run.

If it happens i'll make a daily mission to bomb bajor for 2500 dil :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Thorley View Post
    If it happens i'll make a daily mission to bomb bajor for 2500 dil :-)
    Where can I send payment? Lol.

Tokar Jarok@Omega_Glory wraith1977's Avatar

You took the words right out of mouth? fingertips? Anyway, I agree with you, Thorley. When I first started playing STO I assumed that what you described to be the case. After a mission is completed, that location would made available to you forever. Alas, it didn't work that way. 3 years later I still want this functionality.

Twitter : STO_Tarok

I like to nip over to andoria every now and then. theres no reason to go there other than i just watched an epp of enterprise and i want to go see shans planet etc..
    OK, but Andoria is actually a open public world anyway. In fact, I recall the devs saying that it needed work, since it's nothing but NPCs standing in the middle of nowhere and a merchant in a cave. It needs to look like the homeworld of the Andorians, not a frozen wasteland with people hanging out in the strangest of places.

i think it would be really cool go to ura penthay(?) and get told to fuck off by the klingon gaurds.
    Rura Penthe was also supposed to be an open/public world. Cryptic just never got around to finishing it. In fact, the surface of the planet is in the Foundry, it just lacks the interior maps.

or to goto cardassia prime for a bottle of kanar. these maps have already been made and are efectively locked after the mission is complete.
    Cardassia Prime is a completed map? I didn't know that.

seems like a waste of resources to me.
    The original design of STO has mission maps being disposable. "Play once, then throw away" is an huge waste of resources, and yet that's how the game worked originally. Now we can replay missions, but that's not the same as having open areas to visit.

To be fair, STO was designed to be a theme park MMORPG. It sounds like you want STO to be a sandbox MMORPG (hey, so do I!), and the Devs have been moving parts of the game in that direction, sort of. Those open-ended adventure zones like the Deferi homeworld, New Romulus and so on are technically open sandbox-like areas where players can run around and choose to do what they want. They need more of those, and I'd like to see them create some space areas like these too.