Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Online Wants Your Feedback‏

Quote Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
    Governments are split into ministries, which departments for dealing with specific things, so yes, although politians and the like in upper government will not be bothered by this, it doesn't mean actions can't be taken. I'm also quite surprised how casual people are been about to banning the game in countries as though that could possably be healthy for the games playerbase?
    In my mind a game's playerbase isnt a factor. If something is illegal in a country it shouldnt be allowed to be played. Now if they could block the ascpects of the game that are illegal (see examples you gave earlier), fine, but if the game as a whole is illegal then it should be blocked.

Banned

Well I couldn't do the email version but the site one worked for me. Now I can forget about it and assume it won't be acted on but at least I did my part.

Quote Originally Posted by @borticus View Post
    I hope you realize that the most likely course of action here, if any is taken, is that the STO becomes unplayable in the Netherlands. IP blocks, proxy blocks, etc.
    Bort, I hope you realize that if that likely action is taken, more than likely it's not just going to be Denmark that Cryptic is going to be having problems with. Especially if the laws Under the European Union are similar to what Denmark has regarding online gambling and lockboxes, to which I have a feeling that they are. Worst case scenario: STO becomes unplayable in Europe, the continent.

Just imagine all that lost revenue from one of the richest areas in the world if this goes the worst case scenario.
    In game Name: @the_illustrious_q
    Accolade Totals
    Vice Admiral Prower (Fed Main): 13515/14855 = 90.98%
    Lt. General M'Kinlas (Klingon Main): 5370/12200 = 44.02%

I have played since beta, and I did not get this survey. I guess 2 years worth of subscription fees and c store purchases makes my opinon worthless. its a good thing they didnt ask about gated content. well looks like Im bitching now.
    Trixy – “I may be a bitch, but I’m not bitching”

Quote Originally Posted by Prower View Post
    Just imagine all that lost revenue from one of the richest areas in the world if this goes the worst case scenario.
    Honestly? Probably less revenue than would be lost by not doing any more Lock Boxes.

Allenburch

Honestly? Probably less revenue than would be lost by not doing any more Lock Boxes.
    Well gang...I personally have accepted these OPTIONAL chance boxes and figured out how to benefit from them. I think what frustrates people is realizing that you just can't have everything you want...

I see these things as no different than plopping down cash at Great America on a chance to win a stuffed toy for my lovely wife or dropping coins in the "Crane Game" at the local grocery store on a chance to grab some plastic piece of basura.

Rant me if you want, but this is just how I see it.

Gonna go watch TAS "The Survivor" now.
    Last edited by Allenburch; 05-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Sadly, I've time-gated STO.

@SpudBoi

Oldmike/qultar

some mite be more than happy to kill the game then ignore the boxes
    i don't see the big deal with them if you don't like them don't buy them

Quote Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
    [ Perhaps it would mean that STO would have to block the sale of keys for lockboxes to accounts in Denmark.
    If that happens , make room , cause I'm moving to Denmark !

To be honest though, there are easy fixes, just adding the percentages of what can be won and making the ships none tradable fixes a few of the issues immediatly.
    A small "18+" on the launcher and a GIANT "18+" after the "Cryptic" logo scrolls across the screen would also make headway in pleasing the "no gambling in STO" crowd .

I'm also quite surprised how casual people are been about to banning the game in countries as though that could possably be healthy for the games playerbase?
    I think the "causal attitude" actually a disguises a desire to see some form of change initiated by the banning of the game in a country (any country) .
    Right now , many of us are under the impression that if we just ask Cryptic to do away with the lock-boxes , they will "listen to us" and continue to do their own thing .
    Being banned is seen as a catalyst for change .
    (oh , and we'd miss you Suricata )

Quote Originally Posted by V_Silverwings View Post
    I wonder how Cryptic can make lockboxes a profitable but positive thing for the community. Would clearly listed odds change people's spending habits for example?
    Something I'd like to see implemented (but I don't think Cryptic will go for it) , would be a check-box to disable the viewing of the lock-boxes .
    Those players who want them , can have them .
    Those who get ill seeing them drop from every single thing that dies or explodes can get their immersion back .
    But I don't see this being implemented simply because Cryptic will never let go of the element of "temptation" . After all , it's where their lock-box revenue comes from .
    Last edited by Robotrik1 @ Aelfwin; 05-15-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Mav_RSA

I know I'm probably the last person in the STO community who is welcome here, and lord knows I've heard an earful in the past but, I thought I'd weigh in on a couple things.

First, and this is not a personal insult to Jeremy but I find your "openness" about the potential outcome of a government ruling STO's lockboxes illegal would just mean Cryptic and PWI would cease operations of allowing STO in that country. It felt like..such a cold slap in the face that a company could just pretty much say "Thats ok, we'll just take our ball and go home" essentially. When one country won't be allowed to play and further fuel revenue other countries still will is how it boils down to. But in that I say this, as others have said, what if the E.U. follows suit? Or lets go for worst-case-senario, what if by some chance we could get American politicians to take notice? It would not be an over night ordeal but a long process but what then? Would Cryptic and PWI just call it quits and shut down STO because you can't generate enough revenue? You guys aren't living off of subscriptions or continual substational Lifetime purchases, it's Lockboxes. People out there spending 15,000 or 20,000 or 30,000 C-Store points are what are funding the game. If that golden goose no longer lays eggs, what then?

And lastly before I overstay my welcome, someone pointed this out last week; In STO's 2+ year history of live service, has there been a single issue every podcast and / or website has universally agreed on? I can answer that, no there hasn't. Until now. These lockboxes, especially with the Lobi controversay, the editing of the Lobi advertisements, and much more is universally hated by every STO podcast. Podcast UGC, STOked, RSA, Priority One, Gates of Stovokor, etc we all agree they suck. To varying degrees, yes but we it's the first time ever, we've all agreed on it. Maybe it's just me, but that is a miracle in of itself. We have never agreed on things, even tiny things, across the board. We do now. I think that says a lot. But again, that's just me.